11.15.2013

Q & A W/ AMAZING Make-Up Artist Chelsea Still!

Hello, fellow make-up addicts! I recently had a chance to get in touch with an incredibly talented Make-Up Artist, as well as my lovely acquaintance, Miss Chelsea Still, and ask her a lot of the questions about make-up that others like me have been needing to know. Well, I've got all of her answers in one spot, so settle in and have your brushes at the ready!

(When you're done reading, be sure to check out some of Chelsea's CRAZY amazing beauty and special effects makeup photos at her site WWW.Wix.Com/ChelseaStill/ChelseaStill )



Who you is, gurl? What yo name?:
 Heeeeeyyyyyyyyyy gurl…My name is Chelsea Still…that’s who I am.

What’s your makeup story? How did you get into makeup artistry and what would you ultimately like to be doing?
Oh god, I was such a nerd when I was younger. My best friend, who also happened to be my neighbor, was equally as weird and nerdy as I was. We would get into our parents' old clothes and dress up and put the most god-awful makeup on our faces and prance around our neighborhood…we would literally have orange faces…it was scary. I would always make my friends let me put makeup on them…it was something fun but not anything I ever thought about doing as a career.
 When I was 18 years old, I started managing a Halloween store in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I did that for about 5 years and got really passionate about the horror makeup. I loved horror movies growing up--sneaking off and watching scary movies with my dad even though I was WAY too young-- and blood & gore always excited me.  I definitely wasn't a girly girl, that’s for sure.  It never occurred to me that you could live somewhere and make a living by doing this amazing, creative and fun makeup.
When I was 20, my house flooded and I found myself homeless and broke.  I took a job in Alaska at a fish cannery and busted my ass and became mentally and financially ready to go to school.  I chose to go to Makeup Designory (MUD) in Burbank. I moved to LA by myself without ever visiting and began the most amazing adventure of my life. I spent the last 5 years working in special effects labs, working on films, photo shoots, commercials, doing makeup for Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood and just having fun and finally feeling like I had found what I was meant to be doing.
My ultimate goal is to get back out to Los Angeles, find a lab to work in and just do art and makeup. To have a job that I genuinely enjoy waking up for every day and would gladly work 90 hours a week doing.

Did your Special Effects makeup training influence your normal makeup in any way? If so, how?
There's a lot of highlighting and shadowing that you use in SPFX makeup in order for the look to be dramatic and to stand out,  I carried that over to my beauty makeup routine but dulled it down a bit. Highlighting and shadowing your features is a great way to make things stand out, disappear, or look different.

What products do you swear by?
Ocean Salt Cleanser from LUSH Cosmetics or Volcanic AshExfoliator from MAC – a properly cleansed and exfoliated face is important to help your makeup last longer and apply evenly.
Painterly Eye Primer from MAC, oh goodness, my eyeshadow will stay on for DAYS when using the proper eye primer.
Soft and Gentle Skin Finish from MAC for a beautiful shimmery highlight, I wear this every single day!
In Extreme Dimension 3D Black Mascara from MAC, gives length, volume AND curl and has an absolutely amazing wand on it that grabs and coats every lash for amazing, flexible all day mascara.

Are there any drugstore brands that you recommend over pricier versions?
As far as foundations go I don’t recommend drugstore brands. I think its worth spending a little extra money for a foundation that’s made for your skin type, tone and color. I always love trying out new eyeshadows, blushes and lipsticks though, especially if there's a great sale!
Monistat Chafing Powder Gel is JUST like the Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer for a fraction of the price. Seriously, try it!!
(Meagan here, this is actually very exciting, because I LOVE the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer and just ran out a few weeks ago, and was dreading the idea of spending $36 on it. I cannot wait to try this!) 

What are your most critical makeup tips?
I cannot stress enough how important prepping and priming your skin is to the outcome of your makeup. Exfoliating and moisturizing before bed and then again when you wake up is a great habit to get into. Blending is also key to makeup. Blend, blend, blend, blend! I can’t say it enough!

What types of concealers are best for covering up blemishes/red spots/dark under eye bags? Any product recommendations?
I’m a sucker for MAC’s Pro Longwear Concealer. Its got amazing coverage and it's long wearing, I never have to touch it up throughout the day! Everybody has different skin types tho so what works best for myself may not be the best for you. Color correction is really important for really covering up imperfections. 
When trying to cover up a red spot or blemish you should use a green corrector, the green will neutralize the red. 
When trying to cover up dark under eye circles or birth marks you want to use an orange corrector. The Orange will neutralize the purple/blue in the skin. 
After using a corrector, set with a translucent powder and then apply your concealer and/or foundation on top.

How can thin lipped girls like me create natural looking, fuller lips?
You’ll want to start off by finding the proper lip liner color that suits your coloring the best, everybody is different! I like to hold the lip liner at an angle and apply it starting at the center of the lip and lightly filling in my natural shape, top and bottom lip. Then you can just add onto the shape, little by little, to correct or enlarge your lips. 
Use a light colored concealer to line around your new shape to give a slight highlight and pop a tiny bit of gloss onto the center of your bottom lip to give a “pouty” lip appearance.

I have tons of freckles, and though I love to let them be, there are times when I’d like to cover them all up and have a smooth, clear face. Are there any ways I can do this without layering on foundation and concealer?
A common misunderstanding I always come across is the thought that full coverage = thick and heavy makeup. It doesn't have to be that way! MAC has Studio Fix Liquid Foundation and Makeup Forever makes HD Foundation that both are full coverage and have a BEAUTIFUL matte finish to them. This makeup is so pigmented that you really need such a small amount of makeup to get the coverage you want or need. You can even mix in a little primer or moisturizer if you want to sheer it out more.

In my opinion, eyebrows are so important to the outcome of your look. Do you have any brow tips?
I look back at pictures of myself before and I'm amazed that it took me so long to learn how to properly fill in my eyebrows. I fell in love with the Lingering Eyebrow Pencil from MAC. It’s a soft brown pencil that stays on all day.
-To start filling in your brow, you gotta find the best starting point. To do this, hold your brow pencil or brush up so that one end lines up with the edge of your nostril and the other lines up with the inside corner of your eye. The extension of the brush into your brow is where your brow should start.
-To find the ending point of your brow hold your pencil or brush up so that one end lines up with the edge of your nostril and the other lines up with the outside corner of your eye. The extension of this line into your brow is where your eyebrow should end.
-To create the arch in your brow, use your pencil or brush again. Line the pencil up with the corner of your nostril and the very center of your eye. The place in your brow that the end of the pencil hits (or would hit if it were long enough) is where your arch should be.
-Choose a powder (for more natural brows) or a pencil/gel (for more defined brows) in the color that’s most appropriate for you
-“connect the dots” and make an outline of your desired brow shape using your guidelines mentioned above. Don’t fill in the brows yet, just make the outline – top shape, tail and bottom of brows. Lightly color in the brows, starting at the tail and working lighter as you work your way in. Finish off with a clear brow gel and you have some nice brows!

What makeup do you find goes best with green/blue/brown eyes?
Shades of purple will make green eyes really pop and stand out since it’s a contrasting color, same with orange tones on blue eyes. I really love using purples on brown eyes a well because it will pull out the natural green tones in the eye. I love bronze and golds on any eye color. Its always nice to have a color wheel accessible so you can see what will work best with your eye  color. Look at the wheel, find your eye color, and find the color that is opposite of your eye color. The opposite color will help make your eye color stand out the most!

What’s the best way to use foundation & powder? How does one avoid the “caked-on” look? Do you have any foundations/powders that you recommend?
I like to apply my foundation lightly with a brush. After I have the foundation applied I take a big fluffy brush with my chosen powder and lightly press (not rub) the powder onto my face. This keeps the powder light and soft and will help to set the liquid foundation. I also like to finish off with spraying my face with Fix + Spray from MAC. The spray helps to hydrate the powder and make it appear more natural, not so much like a powder sitting on the face. You can use translucent powders or lightweight sheer powders if you don’t want to add more coverage or alter the color of your foundation. 

What types of brushes do you use on a regular basis, and where on your face do you use each one? Any brush tips?
These are all MAC brushes so ill be using the numbers for the brushes. You can look all of these up online to see exactly what I'm talking about.
For moisturizer, primer and liquid foundation - #159 or #188. Both duo-fiber brushes. I love these brushes because they pick up a small amount of product and really feather/buff the product into your skin. They don’t leave your foundation looking streaky and they are the perfect sizes to be able to work around the eyes and nose easily.
For powder - #134 or #150. The #150 is a much fluffier powder brush, applies your powder light and soft. The #134 is a denser, firmer brush and allows for more product to be applied. This is great for when you want a heavier powder or more coverage. #168 is my favorite blush brush. Its soft and fluffy and just perfect.
For eyes - #217 IS MY FAVORITE!! It’s a fluffy brush that is amazing for softly applying colors in your crease. The #224 is the perfect blending brush. I never put product on this one, I simply use it to blend blend blend! #230 is great for packing on colors. It’s a flatter, more dense brush that picks up more product. Great for the lid. #210 is my go-to brush for gel eyeliners. Its not too short, not too long and not to thick. Just perfect!
A lot of people make a big fuss about spending money on brushes…but honestly….these brushes are your tools. You want beautiful makeup? You need the proper tools to apply your makeup! You can't expect to have a Kim Kardashian face when you use your fingers to apply your makeup. Brushes are an investment and when taken care of properly can last you YEARS, and I mean YEARS. I shampoo my brushes once a month with a gentle baby shampoo. I squirt a dime size amount into my hand and twirl my brush, gently, in a circular motion in the shampoo. Do this underneath warm water until the water runs clear. Then lay your brush on its side to allow it to dry. I also clean my personal brushes once a week with a brush cleaner to help condition the bristles and keep them clean and free of bacteria.

What makeup rules are vital to you?
If you are planning on being in front of a camera, taking a lot of pictures, or somewhere that has a lot of bright lighting- don’t be afraid to make yourself a LITTLE darker than you usually are. I'm serious when I say a little, I'm not telling you guys to go out and give yourselves orange faces, but it is a good idea to take into account bright lights and flashes from cameras that will make you appear a little more pale than you look in real life. Not sure how you look on camera? Take a picture with a digital camera or your phone with the flash on and see if your face matches your body!
Proper skincare and a good primer, even though its not makeup, will have a HUGE effect on your makeup.
I’ll say it again, BLEND, BLEND, BLEND!!!!

If you were only allowed to use 1 makeup product for a day, what would you pick and why?
Oh wow, that’s quite the question. I think I would have to chose “Have A Lovely Day! Lip & Cheek color from MAC.  It’s a beautiful mauve/berry crème color and gives a beautiful healthy pop of color to the lips and cheeks, even on the eyes if you want it.

What are primers, and why are they important?
I like to think of primers as double sided tape. The one side is clinging onto your skin, while the other side grabs onto your makeup. Primers help to hydrate the skin, allow the makeup to be applied smoothly and more evenly, and helps make the makeup last all day long.

What would you recommend for someone who wants a quick but effective makeup routine?
I really love Studio Fix Foundation Powders from MAC for people who want to be quicker in their makeup routine. It has a compartment for a disc sponge and gives you the same coverage as a liquid foundation, but you can easily throw it in your purse and run out the door. If you prefer liquid foundation then Matchmaster from MAC is amazing. As it oxidizes on your skin it will change color to match your color. It also allows your natural skin tone to shine through so youll never look too pink or too yellow.  Find a nice soft blush color for your cheeks and your eyes to give a nice amount of color to the face from just one product. Throw on some mascara and lip gloss and you have a super quick 5 minute makeup!

What is your preferred order of application/skin care routine?
When I start my makeup routine every day, I start with my skin care. I'll exfoliate, moisturize and prime my skin. I then will move on to my eyes. The reason I do this is because your skin needs a good 10-15 minutes to really soak up and absorb all that moisturizer and primer you’ve just applied. Going straight to your foundation is just going to mix your products all together on top of your skin. Another reason I love doing my eyes next is because after you’ve done your eye shadow, if you have made any sort of mess on your face (it happens to all of us) then you can easily clean it off without messing up any existing foundation. When I do my eyes I prime first with my painterly paint pot, then apply my eye shadow. After I’m done with my eye shadow I move on to my concealer, then foundation, then powder. After applying the powder I like to move onto highlighting and contouring with powders ( If you prefer to use creams or liquids to highlight and contour then do that BEFORE your foundation) I add blush next and blend all together, then spray and set with fix plus.  After that I draw in eyebrows, add eyeliner and finish off with mascara. I wait to do the eyeliner after foundation just so that it stays fresh and dark. I always do my lips last so they look nice and crisp and juicy!

How did you get into the business, as well as any tips and tricks for getting started.
Practicing your artistry is so important as a makeup artist. There are always new trends and styles that you can learn and perfect. Take pictures of every single makeup you do, even if it isn't the best thing you’ve ever done. It's good to have pictures to look back and compare to be able to see how far you’ve grown as an artist. Make a website! I made a Wix website. It's nothing fancy, but it’s a place for me to put pictures of my work and information about myself so when I apply for jobs and gigs, I can send them a link so they are able to see my work right away. It makes you look a lot more professional than giving somebody your Facebook or Instagram account. 
I learned a lot from makeup school but there are also many artists who are always looking for interns/apprentices and can help teach you and help you understand the business side of makeup. YouTube is a great tool too for learning new tips and techniques. Every artist is different and has something new to teach you so don’t ever stop learning and growing!! Model Mayhem is also a great website to network through and to find photographers and models in your area looking to work!

And last but not least, would you rather fight one horse-sized duck or 100 duck-sized horses?
Are we going by prison rules? Street rules? Well….I would battle 100 duck-sized horses, seems easier to kick and stomp and attack them all…maybe try to tame one of them to be my new pet...where the horse-sized duck could do some serious quick damage to any part of my body….and would probably take some seriously nasty shits.
 ----


THANK YOU, CHELSEA! I think I can speak for all of us when I say WE APPRECIATE when the experts take the time to let those of us who aren't as experienced learn the proper way to apply makeup! 

To view Chelsea's work, please visit 

You can also view Chelsea's INSTAGRAM and Facebook by clicking the corresponding links. 


No comments:

Post a Comment